Splunk Dev

What happens when I set the permissions to "Global"?

sondradotcom
Path Finder

Team,

I'm trying to better understand the under-the-hood part of splunk. I thought that when you set the permissions to global of, say, a field extraction that the system actually moved those lines from the "etc/apps/search/local/props.conf" file to the "etc/default/local/props.conf" file. Am I wrong about that? As it stands, I have some field extractions that are set to "global" but that still live in "etc/apps/search/local/props.conf"

Thanks!
-S.

Tags (1)

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Setting permissions to global isn't going to move those field extractions into the default directory. The default directory is the initial, 'default' Splunk configuration. Additional configuration can be made available globally, but they will still exist within the conf file where they were created, in your case /etc/apps/search/local/props.conf. It is not recommended to edit the files in /default, as they would be overwritten on upgrade and any customizations would not be retained.

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

sondra,

Setting permissions to global makes a change to your app's (in this case search's) local.meta in SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<app>/metadata/local.meta. It is the .meta files that control what is "global", not the location of the resources. Location of resources instead affects the precedence by which configuration files are read.

proctorgeorge
Path Finder

Remember to accept hazedav's answer as correct!

0 Karma

sondradotcom
Path Finder

Ah, perfect! Thanks!
-S.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...