Splunk Dev

Timechart - map data over same interval everyday

deepak02
Path Finder

Hi,

I have a requirement to timechart data over the same time everyday for the past one month.

E.g.: Maximum responseTime between 9 and 10 everyday for the past month.

Query to construct timechart is:

host=host1-vm1-dev.abp.com OR host=host2-vm1-dev.abp.com date_hour=9 | timechart max(responseTime)

How do I modify this search such that the timechart displays values only between 9 and 10 (and not the whole day) everyday?
Sample chart given below.

Thanks,
Deepak

alt text

Tags (1)
0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

i see you're already limiting date_hour=9 so the data you're pulling is only from the 9AM hour (9-10 AM) every day, and not the whole day. Timechart will display the dates on the axis, not the date/hour. Timechart, also, will make the time continuous, if you don't specify a span.

|timechart span=1d max(responseTime)

will group it into one day buckets, though it won't display the hour.

deepak02
Path Finder

Thankyou.

I would like to display the time and value on the graph.
For instance, if the maximum duration for Oct 5 is 2214 at 09:30:51.225, I would like the data point to read (Oct 5 09:30:51 - 2214).

The idea is I want to study what is the trend of responseTime everyday. I am supposed to reduce it below 1000 ms, and I need to know how much of the transactions are taking more than 1000 ms.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

try this, instead:

host=host1-vm1-dev.abp.com OR host=host2-vm1-dev.abp.com date_hour=9 
|timechart max(responseTime) span=5m cont=f
|timewrap 1d

change the span in timechart to your liking, i put it to bucket every 5 minutes.

you can remove the timewrap if you want. that'll display a line per day, which might get hard to read.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

If you really WANT the hour displayed, you could try something like this...

host=host1-vm1-dev.abp.com OR host=host2-vm1-dev.abp.com date_hour=9 
| bin _time span=1h
| timechart span=1h max(responseTime) cont=f

But the axis labels in timechart are a bit unpredictable.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...