Splunk Dev

The issue is that we have so many windows authentication failures after creating Authentication Data model

ngwodo
Path Finder

I created an Authentication data model that has default, Insecure, and Priviledge Authentication Data model. It also uses action=success and action=failures.  Please see screenshot below:

ngwodo_0-1634067370327.png

I can see the data coming in from different sources but the issue is  that we have so many windows authentication failures. Please how can I fix this configurations issues? Has anybody come across such issues?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure this is a Splunk issue?  Is it possible Splunk has just pointed out a problem that already exists in your company?

If you built the datamodel yourself, double-check the logic.  

To properly diagnose authentication failures, we need to see the constraint for the Failed Authentication dataset.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ngwodo
Path Finder

The constraints for the Failed Authenication Data model is:

(`cim_Authentication_indexes`) tag=authentication NOT (action=success user=*$) NOT "pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure;"
action="failure"

ngwodo_0-1634160947562.png

I have another question. How can I review the event codes that are failing for windows authentication failures?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm confused.  The Failed Authentication dataset inherits a condition ('NOT "pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure;"') that is not shown in the screenshot of the parent data set in the OP.

I don't understand the new question, either, but new questions usually warrant new postings.

---
0 Karma

ngwodo
Path Finder

Pardon me. The parent screenshot I shared before was the wrong one. Below is actually the screenshot of the parent dataset:

ngwodo_0-1634163448535.png

Please let me know.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Take the constraint from the dataset and run it in a search window.  Verify the results are as expected.  Modify the query as necessary to get the desired results then update the datamodel.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...