Splunk Dev

Splunk search with PowerShell SDK using inputlooup

kraber
Explorer

I'm trying to use the PowerShell Splunk SDK to gather information that we have saved in a lookup file. When I attempt to search with Search-Splunk -Search "| inputlookup file.csv" I receive the following error message: Error in 'inputlookup' command: This command must be the first command of a search. Also, Unexpected XML declaration.

The search in double quotes works fine from the web interface, but fails when using the PowerShell SDK. Is this an issue with how the REST API handles searches? Has anyone come across this before or know of any solutions? Thank you.

jmccord
Engager

Ran into this today too. I added a search to a non-existent index to the beginning and changed the inputlookup to append:

index=fakeindex | inputlookup append=t file.csv

jbennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I haven't tried that myself, but isn't it just telling you to leave off the "|" or to make it "search|" ?? I think the rest endpoint needs you to be explicit about search, where the web UI implies it.

0 Karma

kraber
Explorer

A simple keyword search did work and returned results. I attempted to use their REST implementation and left out the "search" No dice.

0 Karma

jbennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Ok, I change my answer to ... the opposite of what I said the first time. The problem is that the cmdlet is ADDING the "Search" ...

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

Does a simple keyword search work?

0 Karma

kraber
Explorer

Leaving off the pipe returns no results. Adding "Search |" throws the same error text as just having the pipe. I dug through the Search-Splunk command, it prepends/adds the implied search when in invokes the REST API. I also tried using the REST API with the format of how Search-Splunk is coded with no success.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...