Splunk Dev

Splunk deployment on Laptop/Desktop

I29851
Explorer

Hell all,

In my organzation we are trying to collect logs from all Laptop/Desktop into Splunk. I read somewhere that we can use logs collected from AV agents instead of installing universal forwarders. I We have CrowdStrike agents on all our endpoint devices. 

s this right method? If so, what is the use cases where we may have to install UF on endpoint devices.

Thank you

Labels (6)
0 Karma
1 Solution

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think it all depends on what data you want to collect.

For example, you just need anti-virus logs, you can use CrowdStrike Add-on from Splunkbase and that should give you anti-virus-related logs.

If you also want WinEventLogs from Windows endpoints, you have to either install UF or you can use Windows' functionality of WinEventLog forwarding.

But if you have some files located on endpoints which you want to monitor (its very rare, but in case) then the best option is to install UF.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The possible issue with third-party solutions for windows event log retrieving is that they often will be in some format that's not understandable by the standard Windows Add-on so you'd have to invest much time and effort to either normalize the events  yourself and make them CIM-compliant or convert them to a typical Windows Event format.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think it all depends on what data you want to collect.

For example, you just need anti-virus logs, you can use CrowdStrike Add-on from Splunkbase and that should give you anti-virus-related logs.

If you also want WinEventLogs from Windows endpoints, you have to either install UF or you can use Windows' functionality of WinEventLog forwarding.

But if you have some files located on endpoints which you want to monitor (its very rare, but in case) then the best option is to install UF.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...