Splunk Dev

How to update a Splunk® Add-on Builder built app or add-on?

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Some of my apps are failing AppInspect's check_for_vulnerable_javascript_library_usage check but I didn't include any javascript. I did built the apps with the Splunk Add-on Builder and I see some javascript that was packaged as a result.

I understand that this is resolved in the newest version of Splunk® Add-on Builder. How do I update my app to be built by this latest version of Splunk Add-on Builder, thereby resolving these issues.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes! Version 4.1.0 Release Notes show that these items were fixed in 4.1.0!

The way to update your app is a bit nuanced. You'll need to do the following. 

Important: Pay attention to the specific instructions for each of the below linked documentation. For example, in step 3, the documentation details the way to use the "Package and Validate" tab of Add-on Builder, NOT the "Export" link on the first page, and NOT the package that Add-on Builder saves in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps. So please pay attention to the specific instructions of each link to correctly update the app build.

1. Export the app from any Add-on Builder
  2. Import the app into Add-on Builder v4.1.0 or newer
  3. Download the app packaged from Add-on Builder v4.1.0 or newer. The resulting app package that you download will have the fix!

You can validated by running the old app package against AppInspect with the `cloud` tag, then run the fixed app package against AppInspect with the `cloud`. See Send requests using the Splunk AppInspect collection for Postman  on splunk>dev for more guidance.

View solution in original post

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes! Version 4.1.0 Release Notes show that these items were fixed in 4.1.0!

The way to update your app is a bit nuanced. You'll need to do the following. 

Important: Pay attention to the specific instructions for each of the below linked documentation. For example, in step 3, the documentation details the way to use the "Package and Validate" tab of Add-on Builder, NOT the "Export" link on the first page, and NOT the package that Add-on Builder saves in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps. So please pay attention to the specific instructions of each link to correctly update the app build.

1. Export the app from any Add-on Builder
  2. Import the app into Add-on Builder v4.1.0 or newer
  3. Download the app packaged from Add-on Builder v4.1.0 or newer. The resulting app package that you download will have the fix!

You can validated by running the old app package against AppInspect with the `cloud` tag, then run the fixed app package against AppInspect with the `cloud`. See Send requests using the Splunk AppInspect collection for Postman  on splunk>dev for more guidance.

mikedgibson

I inherited the maintenance of an app that was built with a version of add-on builder that is triggering this warning. Unfortunately, I do not have access to an export of this app from add-on builder. Is there a way for me to make this change without an export then import?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...