Splunk Dev

How to setup XML schema validation for UI assets using Komodo Edit?

Lowell
Super Champion

Splunk 4.1 ships with RelaxNG schemas for validating various UI assets which are XML. And Komodo Edit advertises support for multiple XML formats including the ability to setup add your own formats that are defined using RelaxNG. Since Komodo Edit is Splunk's recommended text editor, I think it's appropriate to ask this question here: Does anyone know how you go about getting Splunk XML formats to be better supported by Komodo?

I have a few views working differently in Splunk 4.1 than in 4.0, so I've been attempt to see if the included validate_all.py script tells me anything, but I'm struggling to understand what the messages it's returning. I don't know if I have mistakes in my custom xml files, or if the messages are due to an incomplete schema (since this is the first release to include the schema info, I suppose it possible they are not yet widely tested), or if there is some other change between 4.0 and 4.1 that I've overlooked.

In any case, I'm hoping that a smart text editor, like Komodo can help me out with editing XML views and nav files. I'm not sure if it will do validation automatically, but even getting better auto-completion will be a welcomed improvement.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I was able to validate my view xml against view.rng using xmllint. I saved this command in Komodo edit.

xmllint %F --noout --relaxng /Users/rroberts/splunk41/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/schema/view.rng

I was missing an "m" on a module element and got...

/Users/rroberts/Desktop/flashtimeline.xml:7: element odule: Relax-NG validity error : Element view has extra content: odule /Users/rroberts/Desktop/flashtimeline.xml fails to validate

View solution in original post

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I was able to validate my view xml against view.rng using xmllint. I saved this command in Komodo edit.

xmllint %F --noout --relaxng /Users/rroberts/splunk41/splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/schema/view.rng

I was missing an "m" on a module element and got...

/Users/rroberts/Desktop/flashtimeline.xml:7: element odule: Relax-NG validity error : Element view has extra content: odule /Users/rroberts/Desktop/flashtimeline.xml fails to validate

Lowell
Super Champion

I was hoping for something more integrated than this. But this is fine starting point. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...