Splunk Dev

How to search custom fields from Splunk SDK?

scottmacdonald

I can't find documentation anywhere on how to format search strings for the Splunk SDK. Every single example provided just uses:

search index=_internal | head 10

I'm just trying to search on a custom field I use in my application, so I thought this would work:

search index=myindex mycustomfield=xyz

but that just gives me an error: Bad Request: FATAL: Unknown search command mycustomfield

How do I format this as I want? And perhaps more importantly where is this documented how the SDK expects requests to be formatted?

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

See if this answer from yesterday helps.

0 Karma

scottmacdonald

@micahkemp that actually did help but not for the reason you would think...turns out it was a dumb mistake on my part, I had two variables declared named search and searchStr and i mixed the two up and was passing in the wrong one without the 'search' part at the beginning. Stupid mistake but thanks for the tip

0 Karma

damien_chillet
Builder

Hi scott,

Can you provide us with a sample of the code you're using to get this error?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...