Splunk Dev

How to remove fields containing 'metadata' keyword that get html encoded?

clx
Engager

Hi there,

I've a scripted lookup that returns a field which contains text data. What is really intriguing is that if the returned data contains "metadata" in it, then the text is html encoded (partially at least), and not if this keyword 'metadata' is not present. Any logical explanation to that? How can I remove this html encoding?

| stats count | eval curious = "jambon: de -> bayonne" | fields curious

This will result in a single field containing "jambon: de -> bayonne" as expected.

| stats count | eval curious = "metadata: de -> bayonne" | fields curious

This will result in a single field containing "metadata: de -> bayonne" which is not expected ; why is the ">" html encoded?!

I thought it was related to the fact that "metadata" is also a Splunk command, but after a few tries with "search", "metasearch",  "mcollect", etc, none of those trigger this behaviour. Is this a weird bug?

I'm on Splunk 8.2.3, can you guys reproduce and on which versions?

Thanks,

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It has nothing to do with lookup.

But yes, if I do this:

| makeresults 
| eval curious = "metadata: de !@#$%^&*(<> bayonne"
| table curious

I get this:

metadata: de !@#$%^&amp;*(&lt;&gt; bayonne

On 8.2.5

EDIT: What is even more interesting, is that it's indeed treated differently in other aspects. For example, it's not getting split properly into multivalued field.

Try

| makeresults | eval a = "metadata:,a" | eval b=split(a,",")
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...