Splunk Dev

How to join 2 search

supriyagaw08
Explorer

Hello all,

I want to join 2 search based upon one common filed from both the search , 

index=14 search_name="Daily Counts" |rename A_USER_NM as USER_NM|table Date USER_NM FILE_ID FILE_NM filecount| join USER_NM
[ search index=14 earliest=-24h@h latest=now sourcetype=user source=O  001
| dedup USER_NM
| table USER_NM USER_ID indicator ]

I tried above search its working but its not displaying all results, few records are getting missed, let me know where am I making mistake or any other method that i can use.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

A direct answer to the question using join:

index=14 search_name="Daily Counts" 
|rename A_USER_NM as USER_NM
|table Date USER_NM FILE_ID FILE_NM filecount
| join type=left max=0 USER_NM
[ search index=14 earliest=-24h@h latest=now sourcetype=user source=O  001
| dedup USER_NM
| table USER_NM USER_ID indicator ]

I am unclear if  the dedup in the subsearch is necessary if you are missing results?

However, there are normally better/more efficient ways of obtaining the same results with stats, but it might help to see some sample data to provide you with a stats example

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

supriyagaw08
Explorer

HI @nickhills  thanks for the reply but i used this and its showing the fileds USER_ID indicator as blanks even i remove dedup.

The output from my search 1 is Date| A_USER_NM| FILE_ID FILE_NM |filecount and output 2 has many fields from which i want only USER_ID and indicator. Both search has common index but different search reports

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

That would suggest the second search is not finding any matches.  Are you sure that USER_NM is the correct field to match on (does it also need renaming perhaps?)

If you just run your second search, do you see results for USER_NM and USER_ID in the same rows?

0 Karma

supriyagaw08
Explorer

Hi @nickhills thanks for your help the issue was with search 2 it was not giving complete search I was looking for , fixed that and issue was resolved.

supriyagaw08
Explorer

@nickhills user_nm is correct common field between 2 search, also yes in output of second search USER_NM and USER_ID are in same row

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Just because you wrote "user_nm" (and this may be a silly question) do both search results have the field USER_NM in upper case? Fieldnames (in the join) would be case sensitive.

From what you are saying, it sounds like the search should work. Are you able to provide a screenshot (with redactions etc) of all the searches?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...