Splunk Dev

How to create a KVStore using Python SDK w/ SPL commands?

yurippe
Explorer

Hello,
I am trying to create a kvstore that I can use in a | inputlookup and / or | lookup SPL command. I can create a KVStore using the python SDK, but it can not be used with the above commands.
(I have tried many things and variations in the create command, but this is what I assume to be the most correct:)

>>> splunk.kvstore.create(name="testkvstore", **{"sharing": "global"})
{'status': 201, ...}
>>> splunk.kvstore["testkvstore"].data.app
'system'
>>> splunk.kvstore["testkvstore"].data.sharing
'system'
>>> splunk.kvstore["testkvstore"].data.owner
'nobody'

>>> splunk.kvstore["testkvstore"].data.insert(json.dumps({"_key": "test", "value": "result"}))
{'_key': 'test'}

Yet I cannot find it with inputlookup nor lookup. This does not work in splunk cloud nor local instance

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

starcher
Influencer

Did you create a transforms stanza to reference the kvstore collection?

View solution in original post

starcher
Influencer

Did you create a transforms stanza to reference the kvstore collection?

yurippe
Explorer

No, any tips on how I would do this via the RESP API ?

0 Karma

yurippe
Explorer

I figured it out, thank you very much
Here is enough code to be able to figure it out for anyone else who might stumble upon this:

kv = splunk.kvstore
kv.create(name="kvtestcollection", fields={"_key": "string", "name": "string"}, owner="nobody", sharing="system")
kv["kvtestcollection"].data.insert(json.dumps({"_key": "hello", "name": "world"}))
#kv["kvtestcollection"].delete()
transforms = splunk.confs["transforms"]
transforms.create(name="kvtestcollection_lookup", **{"external_type": "kvstore", "collection": "kvtestcollection", "fields_list": "_key, name", "owner": "nobody"})
#transforms["kvtestcollection_lookup"].delete()
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...