Splunk Dev

How do I find events causing LineBreakingProcessor Warning?

dwoltil
Engager

I am getting over 1,000 of theses warnings in the splunkd.log every minute on one of our indexers.
We are on version 4.3.1 build 119532

WARN LineBreakingProcessor - Truncating line because limit of 10000 has been exceeded: 23824
WARN LineBreakingProcessor - Truncating line because limit of 10000 has been exceeded: 33824
WARN LineBreakingProcessor - Truncating line because limit of 10000 has been exceeded: 31056
...etc

I know I can edit props.conf to change the truncate setting (http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/41648/linebreakingprocessor-truncating-line-because-limit-of-1...) but I want to find what events are causing these warning so I can make sure the sender is not incorrectly configured or sending junk data.

How can I identify these extremely long events?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

sdwilkerson
Contributor

Dwoltil,

Here are two methods:

The search above should return the events that are 10000 bytes long or rather, the ones that will hit the default TRUNCATE limit. Instead of the equal sign after size, you can instead use the greater than or less than character if you prefer to fine tune what you are looking for.

Best,

Sean

View solution in original post

sdwilkerson
Contributor

Dwoltil,

Here are two methods:

The search above should return the events that are 10000 bytes long or rather, the ones that will hit the default TRUNCATE limit. Instead of the equal sign after size, you can instead use the greater than or less than character if you prefer to fine tune what you are looking for.

Best,

Sean

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...