Splunk Dev

How do I compare different values for fields returned using the python REST API?

ng87
Path Finder

I have just started playing around with the python REST API for a project i have in mind. Please forgive me as this is my first real attempt at scripting/programming anything really. I'm using Python to query Splunk.

Anyway based on the examples i found on the website, this is a part of the code:

request = urllib2.Request(base_url + '/servicesNS/%s/search/search/jobs/export' % (username), 
    data = urllib.urlencode({'search': search_query,'output_mode': 'csv'}),
    headers = { 'Authorization': ('Splunk %s' %session_key)})
search_results = urllib2.urlopen(request)
returned_data = search_results.read()

Here is an example output (i have on purpose only selected two fields and 3 events for each)

"_time",Service
"2015-06-10 18:09:08.000 BST","dnsmasq-dhcp[472]"
"2015-06-10 18:09:08.000 BST","dnsmasq-dhcp[472]"
"2015-06-10 17:48:04.000 BST","dnsmasq-dhcp[472]"

When printing the value of returned_data, i can see all the information i expect. However, the variable has a type of string so i need to convert it to something, but not sure what. The end aim is to be able to compare the different values in the fields. Would i need to convert the above output to a dictionary or a list ? Also, should i maybe be trying to export the results from splunk in a different format than csv?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

This is alot easier using the Splunk Python SDK

Example code doing mock String compare against the _raw field from the export search results :

import splunklib.results as results
import splunklib.client as client

def compare(val_a, val_b):
    return val_a == val_b

if __name__ == '__main__':

service = client.connect(host='localhost',port=8089,username='admin',password='abc')
    kwargs_export = {"earliest_time": "-1h",
                  "latest_time": "now",
                  "search_mode": "normal"}
    searchquery_export = "search index=_internal"

exportsearch_results = service.jobs.export(searchquery_export, **kwargs_export)

reader = results.ResultsReader(exportsearch_results)

foo_field = 'foo'
    for result in reader:
        if isinstance(result, dict):
            raw_field = result['_raw']
            print compare(raw_field,foo_field)

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

This is alot easier using the Splunk Python SDK

Example code doing mock String compare against the _raw field from the export search results :

import splunklib.results as results
import splunklib.client as client

def compare(val_a, val_b):
    return val_a == val_b

if __name__ == '__main__':

service = client.connect(host='localhost',port=8089,username='admin',password='abc')
    kwargs_export = {"earliest_time": "-1h",
                  "latest_time": "now",
                  "search_mode": "normal"}
    searchquery_export = "search index=_internal"

exportsearch_results = service.jobs.export(searchquery_export, **kwargs_export)

reader = results.ResultsReader(exportsearch_results)

foo_field = 'foo'
    for result in reader:
        if isinstance(result, dict):
            raw_field = result['_raw']
            print compare(raw_field,foo_field)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...