Splunk Dev

Custom search command (v2/chunked): A lot of time passes between prepare() and generate()

spunk_enthusias
Path Finder

I am building a GeneratingCommand and even in the most basic version a lot of time passes between the invocation of prepare() (called after about 50ms after start) and generate() (called about 170ms after start).

We plan to invoke this command frequently, so this gap matters. How can I reduce it?

0 Karma

spunk_enthusias
Path Finder

Now here's an interesting tidbit: Where a bare-bones Python script using Splunklib takes 170ms to dispatch.evaluate, a dbxquery from DB Connect takes 80ms for a whole query! And that's also with a chunked python3 search command.

So what's different? It doesn't use splunklib! Or at least not the Python version. The Python script acting as the bridge simply forwards the search protocol messages to a TCP server which likely uses the Java implementation.

I've said before that splunklib could use some attention - case in point.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...