Splunk Dev

Configuration page in custom app

eylonronen
Explorer

Hi all

I want to create an app that contains several dashboards, but i want to allow the user to config some things (macros, lookups, etc...) easily like the configuration page in Splunk DB Connect, but i can't find how to update config files with js.

Also, i would like to know what is better:

html inside a view, or using a template

Thank you very much 🙂

Labels (3)
0 Karma

thellmann
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @eylonronen - I think what you're looking for is a setup page. Check out this manual for more information on creating one for your app: https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/developapps/manageknowledge/setuppage

0 Karma

eylonronen
Explorer

Thanks @thellmann  but I actually figured it out already...

But since you came by this post it would be great if you'd look on this medium story I wrote about my experience in this very topic with emphasis on the lack of documentation and good examples and hopefully try to make it better for future developers

My story:

https://medium.com/@eylon.ronen/the-ordeal-of-using-js-inside-splunk-app-6fb3a441151d

Thank you very much

0 Karma

mleati
Explorer

Eylon,

I came across your post on Medium before I found this one. I was looking for information about integrating React and Splunk (using the new Dashboard Framework). Being a newcomer to both React and Splunk, this task is also impossible and it is definitely taking me way more than a week to come up with a simple dashboard. I followed the examples that I was able to find elsewhere but there is almost nothing out there. Splunk did provide some examples at .conf19 but not much after that. Those examples came with @splunk/dashboard-core 8.x.x. The current version of this component is 20.1.0. Obviously it was changed a lot. I am running into some issues with React and I suspect that it may have something to do with incompatibility between the versions of React and @splunk/dashboard-* stuff in my build. But I can find any information about the right configuration (the package.json from the examples might work but it's an extremely outdated version). Did you use @splunk/dashboard-* modules? Could you share a little bit more about your experience?

0 Karma

thellmann
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for the feedback - this is definitely an area where we are working on improving the developer experience. I'll forward your article to the relevant product managers. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...