Splunk Dev

Best practices for scalable application development

joelshprentz
Path Finder

Splunk provides great tools it its web interface for quickly creating an application, saving searches, adding dashboards, etc. What tools or best practices support development and maintenance of larger applications?

This summer I was tasked to create a "metrics application," which will expose summary data extracted from our log files. The list of metrics is 15 pages long.

Each individual view was easy to create, but it became difficult to keep them consistent, particularly when changes were requested.

• "Add a link on every page to ... ."
  • "Display service times as hours instead of minutes."
  • "Make all the charts a bit taller."

Most of the views have a similar structure, but differ in the details: the form fields, the searches, the chart labels, etc. There seems to be no way to abstract the overall page layout away from the detailed contents of each page. The advanced XML views, in particular, expose every tiny detail of the page layout; any change must be carefully repeated in every advanced XML file.

I would welcome hints from others who have developed large Splunk applications.

gmelnik
Engager

Joel,

[Splunk Developer Guide - Building Splunk Solutions]1 contains many good and proven app building practices discussed in the context of real-world apps. Check it out!

Also, these days Simple XML (not Advanced XML) is a way to go.

alt text

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...