Splunk Dev

AppInspect failing to install despite following Splunk Dev document instructions

adnankhan5133
Communicator

Hello,

I am currently running Splunk Enterprise 8.0.4 on an AWS EC2 instance, which already has Python 3.7 configured and pip-20.2.2 installed. 

Since I am planning to package and bundle our existing search app and other conf files into a private app for deployment to Splunk Cloud, I am trying to install and execute AppInspect beforehand.

I am following the instructions here, under the "Install AppInspect" section with the assumption that a virtualenv is created.  - https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/developapps/testvalidate/appinspect/splunkappinspectclitool/i...

So far, I have the AppInspect tarball downloaded and was able to successfully run the following command, which allows me to upgrade pip:

[sudo] pip3 install --upgrade pip
[sudo] pip3 install splunk-appinspect-latest.tar.gz

However, when I ran the above command to install splunk-appinspect, I get the following error: 

/bin/bash: pip3: command not found

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can proceed from here?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

adnankhan5133
Communicator
Thanks - I resolved this. It turned out to be a spacing issue after all.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That was the first of many problems I had when I tried to install AppInspect. IIRC, I resolved this problem by creating a link pip3->pip.  I eventually gave up and used the on-line tool, instead. It's at https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/developapps/testvalidate/appinspect/splunkappinspectapi/runap...

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

adnankhan5133
Communicator

Thanks @richgalloway 

I'm trying the Splunk App Inspect API approach now, but ran into the following issue after trying to authenticate. I'm using my Splunk username and password , so I'm confused as to why I'm unable to connect to the URL.

$ curl -X GET \

> -u john.smith \ --url "https://api.splunk.com/2.0/rest/login/splunk"

Enter host password for user 'john.smith':

curl: (3) Host name ' --url' contains bad letter

{"status_code":401,"status":"error","msg":"Failed to authenticate user","errors":"401 - {\"status\":3, \"message\":[{\"major\":1,\"type\":\"User Error\",\"title\":\"UNAUTHORIZED\",\"short\":\"Could not authenticate user john.smith\",\"long\":\"\",\"hint\":\"\",\"stack\":\"\",\"product\":\"App - Core\",\"

0 Karma

adnankhan5133
Communicator
Thanks - I resolved this. It turned out to be a spacing issue after all.
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please up vote the answer.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check if you password has special characters that needs to be escaped in terminal.

set passwd=yourpassword

echo $passwd

see the complete password is echoing or breaking some where.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...