Getting Data In

what would be the Host IP address of Forward data under Forwarding and receiving

gauravreva

I have installed splunk enterprise and wanted to configure receiving and forwarding. For receiving I know the default port is 9997, but I want to know what would I update in Forwarding in "Host" field. would it be my IPV4: 9997 or there should be any speicific IP related to search head. Please help

Tags (1)
0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

Forwarding is configured to send data from this search head to an external server. If you need to forward any data from this search head to any external server like syslog, another splunk instance then provide that instance IP and port on which data is received on that instance in IP:port format.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @gauravreva,
as you can see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/8.0.3/Forwarder/Configuretheuniversalforwarder you can set the address in Universal Forwarders in two ways:

The best approach is creating a dedicated technical Add-On (called e.g. TA_Forwarders) that contains only two files:

and deploy it in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps.

Remember to restart Splunk after the updates!

The "host" field in Universal Forwarder is the hostname of the UF (contained in server.conf and inputs.conf), so you don't touch it, to address forwardering, the correct conf file to use is outputs.conf.

Ciao.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...