Training + Certification Discussions

unable to get back into splunk

MPRensel

I was using the free version of splunk to get the fundamentals 1 cert. i Paused to take a break and when i came back i was unable to get back to splunk using localhost:8000 and it keeps saying "site cant be reach. localhost refused to connect." Im using Google chrome and win 10. I was able to uninstall and reinstall. It worked again all the way up until i took a break to do something else. I tried to login and was unable too. Ive tried all sorts of ways ive found though answers.splunk but Im not getting anywhere or not know exactly what im doing wrong. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jaracan
Communicator

Check the Splunk status or Restart Splunk.
Since you are using Windows, you can follow the steps below:

Open a Command Prompt and run it as Administrator
Change the directory and navigate to Splunk bin folder:
Command:
cd "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin"

Check Splunk Status
Command:
splunk status

Restart Splunk
splunk restart

alt text

0 Karma

MPRensel

Thanks! i was forgetting the quotation marks when i was doing the file location in cmd. ill try it again when i get home.

0 Karma

jaracan
Communicator

Sure. And do not forget to click "Accept the Answer" if this resolves your issue. Thanks

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

Did you check if splunk was up and running ?
Run the command splunk status inside bin directory of your splunk home directory.

If splunk was not running check for any errors on splunkd.log or crash*.log inside var/log/splunk/

0 Karma

MPRensel

I have not. I do not know how to get to the bin directory. Ive tried to look for maybe a file that would lead to it in the main Splunk file that you can access from file explore. I tried putting the info in through command prompts. I know im probably missing something extremely obvious, I just cant figure it out. I apologize about my inexperience. Im just starting to get into the deeper sides of computers.

0 Karma

ehollima
Path Finder

just starting to get into the deeper sides of computers.....

Can you elaborate on your level of experience?

0 Karma

ehollima
Path Finder

There are thousands of free online courses you can take to educate yourself before tackling a framework like Splunk.

0 Karma

ehollima
Path Finder

I will answer all the questions you have...feel free to ask...arion.holliman@gmail.com

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...