Splunk Search

tonumber() not working on scientific notation

999chris

Hi All,

I am indexing a file with JSON and epoch values on the JSON are written in scientific notation

An example of a field I that is parsed by Splunk:

incStart: "1.4848974e+12"

Which is seen as a string. In the event view window however it is show as an integer (or long): alt text
I've seen using eval incStartInt = tonumber(incStart) should work, but its not creating a new field with the value as an integer.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Splunk 6.5.2

0 Karma

Graham_Hanningt
Builder

You wrote:

I am indexing a file with JSON
incStart: "1.4848974e+12"

I'm curious. I doubt that this is a verbatim example of the JSON in the input file, because it's not JSON: in JSON—as opposed to a JavaScript object literal—you must enclose property names, such as incStart, in quotes.

And then, you enclose the numeric value in quotes, as if it were a string value. Are you really enclosing that value in quotes in the JSON (JSON Lines?) input file?

If so—and if you have any control over the format of that input file—then do this instead:

"incStart": 1.4848974e+12

Splunk (I'm currently using 7.3) correctly ingests such numbers in scientific notation in JSON.

0 Karma

laudai
Path Finder

HI 999chris

you can try this

| makeresults |eval incStart= "1.4848974e+12" 
 |fieldformat incStartint =tonumber(incStart)

but you can't use fieldformat to do this

| makeresults |eval incStart= "1.4848974e+12" | eval inStart1="1.23457e+10"
 |foreach inStart[fieldformat <<FIELD>>=tonumber(<<FIELD>>)]

If you have more column to number ,you can try this search

| makeresults |eval incStart= "1.4848974e+12" | eval inStart1="1.23457e+10"
 |foreach inStart[fieldformat <<FIELD>>=tonumber(<<FIELD>>)]
0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This works for me: alt text

Are you sure the field as it is extracted from JSON is in fact a string (i.e. is shown in the list of interesting fields with a 'a' prefix)?
If it is extracted as a number (which would make sense, given the value), the event viewer value is simply wrong (assuming it is from the same event than your example string representation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...