Security

timestamp issue

mcbradford
Contributor

I have firewall events coming to my syslog-ng server. The firewall events are in Central European Timezone, so when the events are indexed, they are showing up in this time (as expected), so about 5 hours in the future when searching.

I am trying to figure out where to adjust this. I know the props.conf needs adjusted but where? I tried to add a props.conf to local within the app on the UF, but this made no change.

I then tried to add props.conf within local under the firewall app on the indexer, and I stopped getting events all together???

Tags (1)
0 Karma

mcbradford
Contributor

I figured it out...

[source::/opt/syslog-ng/palo_alto/CSG2-MAIN-FW1/*/messages.txt]
TZ = PST

0 Karma

mcbradford
Contributor

BenTan,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I have 8 firewalls that are in 4 different time zones.

I will only focus on one for now...

raw event

Jan 2 08:40:09 CSG2-MAIN-FW1 1,2018/01/02 08:40:08,011901000724,TRAFFIC,end,1,2018/01/02 08:40:08,10.3.0.63,8.8.8.8,216.85.221.10,8.8.8.8,Standard Outbound Apps,,,ping,vsys1,Trust,Untrust,ethernet1/1,ethernet1/4,Panorama,2018/01/02 08:40:08,149453,6,0,0,0,0,0x500019,icmp,allow,1176,588,588,12,2018/01/02 08:39:57,0,any,0,275058159,0x0,10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255,United States,0,6,6,aged-out,213,0,0,0,,CSG2-MAIN-FW1,from-policy,,,0,,0,,N/A

Since these are all going to a syslog server, I cannot use the host stanza, so I was going to use the source stanza.

The source is:
/opt/syslog-ng/palo_alto/CSG2-MAIN-FW1/2018-01-02/messages.txt

I tried:

[source::*CSG2-MAIN-FW1*]
TZ = PST

but it did not work

I tried:

[source::.../opt/syslog-ng/palo_alto/CSG2-MAIN-FW1/*]
TZ = PST

but it did not work

I am making the changes to props.conf located in:

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_paloalto/default

0 Karma

BenTan
Path Finder

Hi,

In order to understand which props.conf to be configured, it is important to understand the data pipeline, please refer to this link for more information:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.1/Admin/Configurationparametersandthedatapipeline

And to answer your question, if your Splunk architecture only has a Splunk UF installed on your syslog-ng and forward logs directly to Splunk indexer, you will need to configure your timestamp configuration in the indexer's props.conf. In certain situations, if you apply the INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS in your Universal Forwarder's props.conf, you will need to configure timestamp extractions on the same props.conf on UF as well.

If your UF is forwarding data to a Heavy Forwarder before forwarding to the indexer, you will need to configure timestamp configurations on the HF's props.conf.

Lastly, please review your timestamp configurations for the firewall sourcetype. These are the configurations used for timestamp extractions:
- TIME_PREFIX
- TIME_FORMAT
- MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD
- TZ
- DATETIME_CONFIG

Hope it clears your doubts!

Regards,
Benjamin

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

So you've UF installed on your syslog-ng server which are sending data directory to Indexer (no intermediate heavy forwarders in between)? If yes, then the props.conf should be updated on Indexers. Can you confirm if you're adding TZ information correctly and within correct sourcetype stanza in your props.conf?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...