Installation

splunk could start due to splunkweb time out help !!

HelpMePlease
Explorer

I used cmd to restart splunk but splunkweb time out. I only know how to restart using cmd as I saw some people say:

1 stop splunk
2 check the presence and owner/permissions on $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/splunk/*.pid
3 delete them if they still exists
4 if needed do a chown -R for the splunk folders to change the owner
5 start splunk under the correct user
6 double check that the service starts with the correct user

How can I start ? How do I solve it. I don't know how to chown -R and start splunk under correct user. Anyone can teach me in detail way ? After using CCleaner, I could not even start localhost:8000. I only can use localhost:8000, whenever I use the web it direct me to a strange ip that splunk could not start.

But the main problem is how I can troubleshoot or debug to make my splunk work. I believe is CCleaner that cause the problem.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

HelpMePlease
Explorer

Solved by uninstall and installing Splunk again. Took risk to retain data in C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\lib\splunk\defaultdb\db then replace db in new Splunk. Luckily my data is still inside new Splunk. Cheers !

View solution in original post

0 Karma

HelpMePlease
Explorer

Solved by uninstall and installing Splunk again. Took risk to retain data in C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\lib\splunk\defaultdb\db then replace db in new Splunk. Luckily my data is still inside new Splunk. Cheers !

0 Karma

KarunK
Contributor

You can check the "/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log" for more clues. In most cases it will be help full.

Hope this helps

0 Karma

HelpMePlease
Explorer

yes it is running before, I went to cmd to do a splunk restart, the splunkd is start while splunkweb timed out.

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

Was it running before?
If you want to start the service

go to splunk_home/bin
splunk start/restart.

And you dont have to worry about the chown command. In windows it's flexible. Run it under administrator/if you have any other account to run under. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...