Splunk Search

split function in calculated fields

AlexeyNL
Explorer

When i try to save in Splunk Web calculated fields that contains split function i have a "Encountered the following error while trying to save: In handler 'props-eval': Bad function" message.
Why i can't use this function in calculated fields?
There is no word about this limitation here in Splunk Documentation,
Examples of Eval expression that are not working:

split(anyfield,";")

or

split("x:x",":")

But in conjunction with eval in Search these are working fine.

Splunk Version............................................6.0
Splunk Build............................................182037

Tags (3)

joebensimo
Path Finder

This appears to only be a limitation in the user interface. I have successfully added (and use) calculated fields that use split by directly adding them to a props.conf file.

For example:

[source::users*ly]
EVAL-userid = split(userid," ")

joebensimo
Path Finder

I too am having this problem when I use split is calculated fields. Eg: split(field," ")

0 Karma

mklunder
Explorer

I have also encountered the same issue. In my case I am adding the eval below in the web UI (6.0).

Expression:
mvcount( SPLIT(nodes, ",") )

Returns:
Encountered the following error while trying to save: In handler 'props-eval': Bad function

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you edit and put your calculated input definition?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...