All Apps and Add-ons

slave-apps not updating

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The slave-apps on my peers are not updating even though the master-apps have updates. I've run splunk apply cluster-bundle --answer-yes, restarted everything with rolling and manual, and I see all healthy status in the cluster dashboard.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk cannot be both a slave and a deploy client simultaneously. Once I disabled the deploymentclient.conf, the slave-apps immediately got synced up.

Therefore, if using a deployment server on your master, you need to keep indexer related apps/config in the master-apps folder, and all other config in the deployment-apps folder.

I found that using sym links can ensure that I only have one copy of an app even if I need the config in both the deployment-apps and master-apps folders.

View solution in original post

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk cannot be both a slave and a deploy client simultaneously. Once I disabled the deploymentclient.conf, the slave-apps immediately got synced up.

Therefore, if using a deployment server on your master, you need to keep indexer related apps/config in the master-apps folder, and all other config in the deployment-apps folder.

I found that using sym links can ensure that I only have one copy of an app even if I need the config in both the deployment-apps and master-apps folders.

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yea. We designed a topology where the license server/master node/deployment server are all the same host. This keeps the non runtime elements out of the runtime environment. But let me know if you know of a better design from experience.

0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

Note that Splunk can be a Master and a deploy client though - allowing you to control one or more masters' master-apps folders from a central location if needed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...