Splunk Search

search showing times when raw events were 0

Skins
Path Finder

Looking to do a search which shows start time and end time when _raw events were 0 over a say 24hr period.

Trying to find out when and how often my events drop to 0 for specific hosts

gratzi

Tags (1)
0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

I'd start with:

| tstats count where index=foo host=bar by _time | timechart sum(count) as count

And then either inspect a visualization, or do some further filtering on those results to find periods where count is 0.

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might need to add prestats=true right after tstats, don't you?

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Why? I've never used that setting before to be honest. I just tried it but don't see what value it adds to just the plain approach I suggested?

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

From the docs:

Specifies whether to use the prestats format. The prestats format is a Splunk internal format that is designed to be consumed by commands that generate aggregate calculations. When using the prestats format you can pipe the data into the chart, stats, or timechart commands, which are designed to accept the prestats format. When prestats=true, AS instructions are not relevant. The field names for the aggregates are determined by the command that consumes the prestats format and produces the aggregate output.

I understood it as it is required for timechart etc. to properly work on tstats data, and at least once had trouble when not using it, because the output was wrong. Maybe it's only needed if you use specific features of timechart? Just wanted to mention it exists, in case you run into trouble when not using it 🙂

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Yeah, I read that as well and it isn't really making it any clearer for me 😄

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...