Deployment Architecture

rotating log files with large headers.

kkalmbach
Path Finder

I have a log file that gets rotated (foo.log becomes foo.log.1, foo.log.1 becomes foo.log.2, etc).
Every time the file gets rotated, the new foo.log gets a common header (which is more that 256 bytes long)

Splunk believes that this file has already been indexed (since the first 256 bytes are identical).
I can't add "crcSalt = " since the source filename is always the same.

Are there any other ways to get this file read every time it gets rotated?

Thanks
-Kevin

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I don't know of a good way around this problem. It comes up fairly often and is something Splunk should be able to fix, either to use a larger CRC, or to offset some amount before the CRC. Please file an Enhancement Request with Splunk to help us get this fixed.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I don't know of a good way around this problem. It comes up fairly often and is something Splunk should be able to fix, either to use a larger CRC, or to offset some amount before the CRC. Please file an Enhancement Request with Splunk to help us get this fixed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...