Splunk Search

return function on field with spaces

kwanx
Explorer

Hello - searched, but no answer found.

...| return 10 "Name of Field"

Gives:
Name="" of="" Field=""

I know that I can rename this field, but the goal is to get the actual correct name with spaces as it is used in another sourcetype with the same format.

Any ideas please?

0 Karma

fbehe
Explorer

As already said by previous comments, correct solution would be to use spaceless names, but if you cannot change the field name, one workaround would be to add a rename command before the return

Instead of having

... | return 10 "Name of Field"

You would have

... | rename "Name of Field" as foo | return 10 foo
0 Karma

tchintam
Path Finder

Can I pass that 10 from a count? I mean say suppose I have this command stats count as count which gives me 10. How I do write the return query->

|return count foo

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@kwanx, what is your use case? What are you trying to do? It would be possible for us to suggest alternative if you can share complete SPL.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I do not believe that this can be; even so, it would be best if you didn't.

Best Practice: Do not use field names with spaces.
Even Better Practice: Only use "clean" names:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Transformsconf#Clean_keys

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure if it's a bug/limitation/design, but return command only accepts fields with clean names (no spaces). The workaround would be like this

...| head 10 | table "Name of Field" | format
0 Karma

kwanx
Explorer

maybe so; that yields:

( ( "Name=\"\" of=\"\" Field=\"\"" ) )

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this runanywhere search.

| gentimes start=-10 | eval "Name of field"=starttime | table "Name of field" | format

output:

( ( "Name of field"="1503118800" ) OR ( "Name of field"="1503205200" ) OR ( "Name of field"="1503291600" ) OR ( "Name of field"="1503378000" ) OR ( "Name of field"="1503464400" ) OR ( "Name of field"="1503550800" ) OR ( "Name of field"="1503637200" ) OR ( "Name of field"="1503723600" ) OR ( "Name of field"="1503810000" ) OR ( "Name of field"="1503896400" ) ) 
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried using single quotes around the field name?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

kwanx
Explorer

yes, simiar results 😕

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...