Splunk Search

"Unanswered" Questions

LCM
Contributor

As a note: 17:30 CET - 4,825 questions, 1,069 unanswered!?!

There are so many answered questions still "open" / unticked 😞

When I have a "problem" before asking I'm (mostly) looking through existing ones! If I have now more then 1,000 unanswered question, how will I be sure, the answer(s) were correct? (if you go through there are unanswered questions which are already correctly answered, but still open)

There should be a timer "punishing" the asking person not responding or ticking their own question!

• I ask something
  • There are some answers
  • I don't tick or add comments or whatever after 2 weeks, I'm loosing points (or buying beer for the others 😉 )

If that was the case, another button is needed, which said: answer is there but all no good so far / doesn't work

The quality is getting better and double questions could be avoided.

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Although you havent really asked a question, i do have a kind of answer.

The asker 'accepting' one of the answers is indeed a way for a question to get out of the 'unanswered' category, but another way is for anyone to upvote one of the answers. As soon as an answer has a couple upvotes the community has validated that answer a bit.

This used to bother me too and after doing whatever I did on answers I used to go through and read dozens of unanswered questions and unvoted answers just to vote on them so I didnt have to see them next time I read through the 'unanswered' queue.

I agree things seem to have deteriorated a bit. We held the number steady in the low hundreds for a long time but now it's just exploding.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I think that this is part of what @ppablo_splunk has been hired to do. He seems to be doing a GREAT job of it, too. I even noticed that he updated a question that I had correctly answered where the asker had answered his own question with "That did it, thanks" and then accepted his answer! Then @ppablo_splunk came along and converted this joker's answer to a comment under my answer and then accepted my answer. Bravo! Keep up the good work!

Maybe he will update this question and accept my answer!

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'll second the appreciation for @ppablo_splunk!!! Many thanks to that guy!

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

And now that I know how to tag him... ;-). Thanks to @woodcock. Ppablo is about to get more of my business!!!

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Although you havent really asked a question, i do have a kind of answer.

The asker 'accepting' one of the answers is indeed a way for a question to get out of the 'unanswered' category, but another way is for anyone to upvote one of the answers. As soon as an answer has a couple upvotes the community has validated that answer a bit.

This used to bother me too and after doing whatever I did on answers I used to go through and read dozens of unanswered questions and unvoted answers just to vote on them so I didnt have to see them next time I read through the 'unanswered' queue.

I agree things seem to have deteriorated a bit. We held the number steady in the low hundreds for a long time but now it's just exploding.

LCM
Contributor

Thanks nick . . .

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure about SO in general, but answers.splunk.com does. But taking it off the unanswered page doesnt mean it wont get further updates -- people will still see it when it turns up in search results, or when they page through the 'questions' tab.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Does SO work that way? If someone upvotes an answer the question stops being marked as unanswered and updated by community all the time?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...