Splunk Search

libpcre.so.0 error of bloom command

takol
Explorer

Installed Splunk 5.0.1 on Gentoo Linux (x64). Execute "/opt/splunk/bin/bloom" and get the error message:

/opt/splunk/bin/splunkd: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Manually added a symbol link from /usr/lib64/libpcre.so to /usr/lib64/libpcre.so.0 and execute bloom again. Get the error message:

/opt/splunk/bin/splunkd: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib64/libpcre.so.0: invalid ELF header

Is the error coming from the os library or the bloom utility?

0 Karma
1 Solution

takol
Explorer

We find the bloom utility can work fine if we use splunk cmd to execute it.

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd bloom

The same libpcre.so.0 error occur when we execute btool utility directly on Gentoo Linux (x64). The above libpcre.so.0 error will not be triggered on Mac OS X.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

takol
Explorer

We find the bloom utility can work fine if we use splunk cmd to execute it.

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd bloom

The same libpcre.so.0 error occur when we execute btool utility directly on Gentoo Linux (x64). The above libpcre.so.0 error will not be triggered on Mac OS X.

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

Yes, btool is supported. As I said above, my answer wasn't directed at the error you were experiencing. Running commands with Splunk cmd just enables them to use the libraries included with Splunk. If they throw an error or not is irrelevant to if it is supported or buggy 🙂 In this case, the bloom command "executes" - but as per my post below, it creates duplicate buckets and doesn't actually work and so is unsupported. Btool should always be used and is encouraged! Its a great tool.

0 Karma

takol
Explorer

For your reference, the btool has the same situation. Execute btool directly come out the libpcre.so.0 error. Using splunk cmd to call btool works fine. So, the btool should be supported by splunk, right?

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

Its a big product and there are a lot of elements to it, I expect it was still either being tested or a bug was found after release with it. It is listed in the known issues that all customers read before installing, however, so it is at least well publicised.

0 Karma

takol
Explorer

Why this utility publish to customers if is unsupported?

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

Just to be clear, my post below was unrelated to your error. The bloom command is still unsupported, however it is called, as it is currently causing damage to bloom filters and should not be used.

Drainy
Champion

Why are you trying to use the bloom utility? You shouldn't be trying to use this at the moment.

As per the known issues;

•The $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/bloom utility is unsupported and creates duplicate buckets in the warm and cold directories of an index. Splunk does not recommend using this utility. (SPL-50742) 

If you have a particular problem, throw it up here and we'll see if theres another way to fix it or if its alright 🙂

takol
Explorer

Thanks, Drainy. We will ignore the bloom utility problem and use splunk fsck command.

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion
0 Karma

takol
Explorer

We configure indexes.conf and put bloom filter in separate volume (a SSD to accelerate searching). How to rebuild the bloom filter once the volume has crashed without bloom utility?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...