Splunk Search

lea_loggrabber functionality

Wilf
Explorer

I need to understand how the “lea-loggrabber-splunk-linux-4x-42928” application functions.

I need to ensure that if a link between Splunk and the Checkpoint SMART Centre goes down, when it comes back up (maybe days later), that Splunk will go back to where it left off and not lose any events (unless of course Checkpoint has deleted the Log).
This is the functionality I am informed would be required.

In lea _new _session you choose to read in online mode and choose to start reading where they left off, say at position x in log file ID x, then the client reads to the end of file of that log file and then begins at the start of the next file in the fw.logtrack file until they have reached the end of the most recent log file. At that point, the LEA client waits for new events.

Can anyone confirm this is how it works?

Thanks

Wilf
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Chubbybunny
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

the splunk lea client tracks the last position of Check Point log it has received in a cache file located in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/lea-loggrabber-splunk/lea_log_rec_num.cache

If for whatever reason the lea_loggrabber client is unable retrieve logs from the lea server, the lea client will begin where it last left off based on the last record in the cache file (once communication has been reestablished).

View solution in original post

Chubbybunny
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

the splunk lea client tracks the last position of Check Point log it has received in a cache file located in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/lea-loggrabber-splunk/lea_log_rec_num.cache

If for whatever reason the lea_loggrabber client is unable retrieve logs from the lea server, the lea client will begin where it last left off based on the last record in the cache file (once communication has been reestablished).

Wilf
Explorer

Thanks - Covers all I needed

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...