Splunk Search

ldapsearch lastLogonTimestamp eval

s0mar
Explorer

I found this in a search:

hxxps://www.splunk.com/blog/2014/02/10/which-servers-are-inactive.html

It is old but it describes exactly what I am trying to do but looking at user accounts. I tried using the eval commands with my ldapsearch but I do not get any results. I think I just don't understand what format lastLogonTimestamp is stored in.

Here is my attempt to apply the information from the article:

| ldapsearch basedn="OU=MyOU,DC=my,DC=domain,DC=com" scope="sub" search="(objectClass=user)" attrs="cn,lastLogonTimestamp" 
| eval llt=strptime(lastLogonTimestamp,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%QZ")
| eval inactiveTime=now() - llt
| table cn,lastLogonTimestamp,llt,lltAge

When I run the search, lltAge is blank.

What am I misunderstanding?

I found another article and it gives me something more readable.
hxxps://answers.splunk.com/answers/307865/converting-lastlogontimestamp-to-readable-date-and.html

| eval llt=strftime(strptime(lastLogonTimestamp,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%QZ"),"%Y/%m/%d %T %Z")
| eval lltAge=now() - llt 

I attempting to eventually do a where clause with lltAge>= 30 days or some value.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

DMohn
Motivator

Hi @s0mar,

The first search example contains an error - the fields lltAge is never actually populated, so it can't show you any value.

As for your requirement - finding accouts which did not login for the last 30 days:

| ldapsearch basedn="OU=MyOU,DC=my,DC=domain,DC=com" scope="sub" search="(objectClass=user)" attrs="cn,lastLogonTimestamp" 
| where llt < relative_time(now(),"-30d")
| table cn, llt
| fieldformat llt = strftime(llt,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

This should give you the desired results.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

Hi @s0mar,

The first search example contains an error - the fields lltAge is never actually populated, so it can't show you any value.

As for your requirement - finding accouts which did not login for the last 30 days:

| table cn, llt

This should give you the desired results.

0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

I am adding a comment here as well, so the information may be consistant in one answer thread.

If you want to understand what your search does, it is always a good idea, to create as many fields as possible in the beginning, and narrowing it down to your final result going forward. So my above query could be enhanced like this:

| eval lltAge = now()-llt
| table cn, lastLogonTimestamp, llt, lltAge
| fieldformat lltAge = tostring(lltAge, "duration")

Explanation:
1. Get information from AD
2. convert lastLogonTimestamp to UNIX time <= be careful that the format is correct, double check if llt is empty!
3. calculate delta time of last logon
4. select only entries where delta is greater than 30 days (could be done differently, but lltAge is basically not needed
5. display all fields in a table
6. convert the field llt to a more readable format without changing its actual value (consult manual for fieldformat for details)
7. convert lltAge to a formatted duration, just like before

I hope this helps your understanding.

0 Karma

s0mar
Explorer

Yes, that is what I did and then read some documentation. Thanks for the answer!

0 Karma

s0mar
Explorer

Sorry, it was late and I copied from another search I was testing. My first attempt should have been an eval for lltAge and NOT inactiveTime. That line should have been this:

Since llt is formatted, why does that not calculate?

0 Karma

s0mar
Explorer

@DMohn,

Thanks! I'll have to research to understand what you proposed. So 2 things, how can test to see what this my eval is trying to do, specifically lltAge that is not populated? I would like to perform that calculation so that I can output it as part of my table, what am I missing there?

0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

One way is always to show all fields in your table. Going back to the original query:

| table cn,lastLogonTimestamp,llt,lltAge

Here you should see all 4 fields populated, the last two (llt and lltAge) showing a Unix timestamp. If this is not the case, you have to check why. Is llt extracted correctly? Try narrowing down where you are missing a calculation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...