Getting Data In

is it necessary to create an separate index for summary or can we just use the regular index and mark it to enable capturing summary data as well

shahid285
Path Finder

Hi ,
I am presently using an index say "1234-index" where i have different source types to cater my needs. However, I have one particular source type for which i need to collect the summary data.
so is it necessary to create an entirely new index for summary or can i just use the "1234-index" index and mark it to enable capturing summary data as well in a separate source type?

Thanks
Mohammed Shahid Nawaz

Tags (1)
0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@shahid285 ,

Summary index is nothing but just another index. It's more about for what purpose you are using the summary index.

Usually it's used to efficiently report on large volumes of data , i.e. if you want to run a report for last 30 days from an index with millions of events, you may schedule a search to run every day to extract precise information you want on the final report and populate the summary index. So the final report can run on this summary index more efficiently.

There are the normal use case for using a summary index : Summary indexing use cases

Usually, summary index is a separate index so that you can reduce the data volume you search and avoid duplicate information in the same index. Moreover, summary indexing volume is not counted against your license, even if you have several summary indexes.

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

shahid285
Path Finder

HI @renjith.nair ,
Thank you for the response, my situation and concern is to write an event to an index through SPL. For which i had requested suggestion here.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/736766/is-there-a-possibility-to-write-an-event-to-splunk.html

The suggestion to my posted issue here, was to use collect command. but in order to use collect command, i further found that it needs summary index to be configured. Hence, i configured one. but even post that i am not able to get things working in my favour.

the following is the savedsearches.conf changes made to enable summary indexing, and below is the query i am using to write an event to an index.

savedsearches.conf

[xxxx_capacity_threshold]
action.summary_index = true
action.summary_index._name = xxxxx
action.email.useNSSubject = 1
alert.track = 0
search = index="$param$-xxx" sourcetype="xxx" | table maxPercentage percentage

Query (with collect command)

| makeresults | eval raw = "{\"maxPercentage\":\"70\", \"percentage\":\"90\"}" | table _raw | collect index="xxxxxx-xx" file="new_settings$timestamp$.stash" sourcetype="xxxxxx" addtime=true testmode=false

Thanks
Mohammed Shahid Nawaz

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...