Monitoring Splunk

increase logs indexing time

aalaa
Path Finder

i want to increase the log indexing time, for the moment the log are only accessible two days on my indexer and search head, how can i increase the time for the logs to go accessible for two months ? Any help please !
thank you

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tiagofbmm
Influencer

I think you're trying to say you want the logs to stay available for 2 months (retention period). The field _indextime is not changeable.

You can change in indexes.conf the maxTotalDataSizeMB and frozenTimePeriodInSecs attributes. They help determine when buckets roll from cold to frozen.

If you didn't change the default configuration, frozen means the logs are removed from Splunk. So basically if you want your logs to reside for longer, increase the frozenTimePeriodInSecs:

[<indexname>]
frozenTimePeriodInSecs =

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/Indexer/Setaretirementandarchivingpolicy

View solution in original post

tiagofbmm
Influencer

I think you're trying to say you want the logs to stay available for 2 months (retention period). The field _indextime is not changeable.

You can change in indexes.conf the maxTotalDataSizeMB and frozenTimePeriodInSecs attributes. They help determine when buckets roll from cold to frozen.

If you didn't change the default configuration, frozen means the logs are removed from Splunk. So basically if you want your logs to reside for longer, increase the frozenTimePeriodInSecs:

[<indexname>]
frozenTimePeriodInSecs =

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/Indexer/Setaretirementandarchivingpolicy

aalaa
Path Finder

Thank you !
index.conf under the Search head or the indexer ?
what is the value to add in frozenTimePeriodInSecs for two months ?

0 Karma

tiagofbmm
Influencer

In the indexer indexes.conf of the Indexer only

If you want 2 months then convert it to seconds: 60*86400=5184000

[]
frozenTimePeriodInSecs =

0 Karma

aalaa
Path Finder

thank you 🙂

0 Karma

tiagofbmm
Influencer

welcome. don't forget to upvote the accepted answer 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...