Splunk Search

i need to extract fields from XML

rwiley
Explorer

from this data i want to extract theses fields "Message", "Query" and "Row". when i try to extract i am getting error that i am extracting multiple fields. i haven't had issues with field extraction prior to this.

<Check>
    <Message>Machine without MachinePersonnel</Message>
    <Query>
SELECT
    Machine.CorporateName
FROM Machine Machine
LEFT OUTER JOIN MachinePersonnel MachinePersonnel
ON Machine.CorporateName = MachinePersonnel.Machine
WHERE MachinePersonnel.Machine IS NULL
    </QUERY>

<Row>
        <CorporateName>adx07mrbotn</CorporateName>
    </Row>
    <Row>
        <CorporateName>rns01mrbotn</CorporateName>
    </Row>
    <Row>
        <CorporateName>log01mrbotn</CorporateName>
    </Row>
    <Row>
        <CorporateName>log03mrbotn</CorporateName>
    </Row>
    <Row>
        <CorporateName>svr02mrbotn</CorporateName>
    </Row>
    <Row>
        <CorporateName>san01mrbotn</CorporateName>
    </Row>
</Check>

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This works when i just shove all that xml into the _raw field with an eval statement.

| xpath outfield=CorporateName "//Check/Row/CorporateName" 
| xpath outfield=Query "//Check/Query" 
| xpath outfield=Message "//Check/Message"
| table CorporateName Query Message

As somesoni2 mentioned, we need more details on how you're trying to extract. The example I just gave only works if you're indexing these as complete events.

alt text

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

The problem you will run in to with field extractions, is number of occurrences. IFX only handles single occurrence. You have couple of options

1) Edit props/transforms and include MV_ADD=true

OR

2) Use the field transformations UI to add it from there. Check the create multivalue field checkbox. Something like this for your regex should work.

Regex: `(CorporateName)\>([^\<]+)`
Format: `$1::$2`
create multivalue field: `checked`

This will create a multivalue field called CorporateName with all instances in that field. You can then use mvexpand in your search to expand them in to rows.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/Knowledge/Managefieldtransforms

0 Karma

rwiley
Explorer

sorry i ran out of replies the other day. this is getting the data separated in to the fields i need. but i still would like to know why the field extraction tool doesn't work for this. i have never had issues with it in the past. and i can't attach a snip of what i want to show you.. urg..

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This works when i just shove all that xml into the _raw field with an eval statement.

| xpath outfield=CorporateName "//Check/Row/CorporateName" 
| xpath outfield=Query "//Check/Query" 
| xpath outfield=Message "//Check/Message"
| table CorporateName Query Message

As somesoni2 mentioned, we need more details on how you're trying to extract. The example I just gave only works if you're indexing these as complete events.

alt text

rwiley
Explorer

sorry i ran out of replies the other day. this is getting the data separated in to the fields i need. but i still would like to know why the field extraction tool doesn't work for this. i have never had issues with it in the past. and i can't attach a snip of what i want to show you.. urg..

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The reason the IFX (interactive field extractor) isn't working is because it's extracting multiple values for the same key/field in each event. See sundaresh's reply below.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

How is your data ingested? Is this a raw events OR value of a field? Did you ingested this data with configuration to parse this as an XML event? What is your current search?

0 Karma

rwiley
Explorer

raw event

search=
sourcetype=DBIntegrity

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...