Splunk Search

how to read a return value

smolcj
Builder

hi,
if we are using a return command in a subsearch. how can we read the output of the search.
for ex:
if the search is like:
index=newindex source=filename.txt| return $PC_Rename |fields PC_Rename

how can we read the output of this search.PC_Rename consists of only one value , i just want t display the value in it.

please help 😞
thankyou for your time

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Have a look at the format command. It lets you define in which format subsearch results are returned, so you can define a format that is suitable for using with eval for instance if you want to write the value to a variable that you then use for showing somewhere like a SingleValue module.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Yes? What does the number of arguments have to do with it? I don't see how using format would not be the way forward.

0 Karma

smolcj
Builder

Thanks Ayn for your response, but when i look into format command, it needs 6 args, but i just want to read the value returned by my search in a variable and i want to display it in another dashboard or form using that variable. i am stuck with reading the returned value.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...