Deployment Architecture

geoip in a distributed environment

a212830
Champion

Hi,

We recently upgraded to 6.1.1 and when using the geoip command, we get an error:

"..GeoLifeCity.dat does not exist"

Now, the strange part is that this error is coming from the indexers, but pointing to a patch that only exists on the search-head (the NFS share for search-head pooling). Where does the ip command get executed - on the search-heads, or the indexers? And how would I fix this, if that path doesn't even exist on the indexers?

Edit....

Ok, found the iplocation command, which appears to be Splunks own version of geoip? Is that correct? Any pro's/cons for either one?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You will want to use the "| iplocation clientip allfields=true" command in conjunction with the geostats to geo the mapping capabilities as a new charting option. This version of Splunk includes OpenStreetMaps tiles or you can use your own tile server for internal maps for example. I hope this helps.

"| iplocation clientip allfields=true | geostats count by clientip"

Save it as a dashboard visualization of chart type map.

And this app gives great examples: http://apps.splunk.com/app/1773/

View solution in original post

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You will want to use the "| iplocation clientip allfields=true" command in conjunction with the geostats to geo the mapping capabilities as a new charting option. This version of Splunk includes OpenStreetMaps tiles or you can use your own tile server for internal maps for example. I hope this helps.

"| iplocation clientip allfields=true | geostats count by clientip"

Save it as a dashboard visualization of chart type map.

And this app gives great examples: http://apps.splunk.com/app/1773/

a212830
Champion

awesome. thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...