Dashboards & Visualizations

export dashboard table data via rest

rohansecadvbot
Explorer

Hi, I have a custom dashboard with a table. Below the table is a button which is supposed to call a rest endpoint to send an email.
The reason is , i want to send a HTML email with the contents of the dashboard table, therefore using an external email service.

My question:
What is the best way to send the data from the table on the button click? Is there a way to grab the data rendered in the dashboard table in javascript and call my rest endpoint with it.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@rohansecadvbot, glad it worked, do upvote the answer you referred as well so that it benefits others.

baldwintm
Path Finder

The button could trigger a search that is the same as the dashboard search, but adds “| sendemail” to the end. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Sendemail

0 Karma

rohansecadvbot
Explorer

Thanks. I understand that approach. But i want the actual email to be dispatched from some other service (to which i am making a rest call), for reasons cited in my question above. Therefore i want to be able to access the contents of the result from the dashboard in javascript. For example , i can capture a token/parameter using $token$ convention in javascript. Is there a way to capture the query output?

0 Karma

hurricanelabs
Path Finder

The query output can be captured using something like $results._raw$ or $results.field$ (for specific fields from the output). Maybe?

0 Karma

rohansecadvbot
Explorer

Thanks @hurricanelabs , that doesn't work. In the example below $user$ is a regular token that renders fine in the display. But $results[0].user$ or _raw does not render the required value. (p.s. tutorials on your site are very useful. I used those to create my custom module).

Search: (search) | table user, severity

My Simple XML panel:

<b>This is the email template</b>
        <b>$user$, please check and update your system</b>
        <b>$results[0].user$</b>
0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@rohansecadvbot, I think you will have to adopt opposite approach. Create your own Webpage and connect to Splunk instance using Splunk JS Stack and also pull the data. Finally code your button to push output in an email.

Refer to Splunk Dev documentation on the same: http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAEW5

rohansecadvbot
Explorer

Thanks @niketnillay. But my customers would rather interact with one UI and since they do most of the work in splunk, sending them to another webpage for email seems like overkill. I am looking for a way to get the data in the splunk side js and only send the required fields for email (like email addresses from a query).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...