Knowledge Management

disk filling with spool dbmon dbmonevt files

bgstein
Path Finder

Among other struggles with DB Connect I'm trying to pull a large amount of historical data into Splunk to see it is possible to migrate a mysql database into Splunk and running into issues with files in dbmon filling the system drive. This is with Splunk (free) running on Windows 2008 R2.

Is it possible to move the dbmon spool via a change to the configuration file? Is there a way to cleanly delete *.dbmonevt files?

Thanks

Tags (1)

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Many times, this happens because the files have the same checksum for their header and footer. I think you will see events in index=_internal from the fishbucket related to the files in question indicating that they are being skipped because Splunk has already seen them.

0 Karma

ShaneNewman
Motivator

I have never moved the spool to a new location, not to say it is not possible. As far as deleting the events, just shut down splunk, then delete the files from the directory. Make sure you disable the input from dbx that is filling up your drive before restarting splunk.

bgstein
Path Finder

Thanks, that allows me to continue.

It is a shame that you can't manage the size of the spool directory as you can the indexes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...