Splunk Search

disable splunk-*.exe to further lower the foot-print

alextsui
Path Finder

After enabling the light forwarder on a Windows machine, I noticed that the splunk-regmon.exe and splunk-wmi.exe still run as processes. Since I only use the light forwarder to monitor some application log files, Is it ok to disable the splunk-regmon.exe, splunk-wmi.exe, and spunk-admon.exe by adding the following configuration to inputs.conf in C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\system\local\

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-wmi.path] disabled = 1

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-regmon.path] disabled = 1

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-admon.path] disabled = 1

thanks

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, it is perfectly okay to do this. I personally would prefer that these not be enabled by default, and I am rather surprised they are shipped in the system default inputs.conf file.

gfriedmann
Communicator

Yah, the sample_app being enabled by default is the one that bit me. Deploying 100 windows light forwarders at once resulted in my indexer being immediately splooged with 100 * 8MB of sendmail data from the sample_app maillog files.

I used the MSI flag to enable LIghtForwarder app, which disables a lot, but doesn't disable the other apps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...