Getting Data In

different timestamp displayed in log file than splunk timestamp

ravinder82

Hi Team,

i am facing the issue of different timezones. Splunk timezone is CET but log event timezone is coming as UTC in my localhost access logs but other log event are displaying the timezone in sync with CET timezone.

Splunk timestamp is 6/11/13 11:31:44:000 AM
Event log timestamp is [11/Jun/2013:09:31:44 +0000]

I need event timestamp in CET timezone. Is there any way to do it in search query by making offset of 2 hours

Kindly help.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

eeh, it seems like this is handled correctly. You are in CET, and the events that have timestamps set in another zone gets this 'corrected', thus the 2 hour difference.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can set a timezone by host or sourcetype when indexing to get the timestamps correct right away: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/data/Applytimezoneoffsetstotimestamps

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Once indexed, you cannot change the events.
Searching through an extra two hours, recalculating the timestamp, and re-filtering mid-search is not a great idea either - apart from lost performance that's a horrible pitfall for errors and a maintenance nightmare.

Get things indexed correctly, even if it may involve some convincing of third parties.

0 Karma

ravinder82

Thanks Martin for the information.

But problem with me is i am not admin of Splunk portal. It is configured and maintained by third party. Hence i cant change the settings and hard to convince them as timezone in other source files like error logs, catalina.out logs are in CET timezone which is correct.

Only localhost log access event are in different timezone as i posted.

Is there any way to correct the timezone to CET only in splunk search query.

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...