Splunk Search

count if two nonconsecutive string occurs in a statement

ataunk
Explorer

I want to write a query to take the count if two non-consecutive string occurs in a statement. I am trying to do something like this, but this is not able to take logical AND operator in the match method :

Note : I want to use the query using eval only as in my larger query I have to perform some mathematical operation using more (different) eval variables.

| eval concatsearch=if(match(_raw,"String1 && String2"),1,0) |
eval ccount=if(match(_raw,"cc"),1,0) |
timechart span=1h
sum(concatsearch) as concatsearch,
sum(ccount) as ccount

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are many ways to do that, but this one should work:

| eval concatsearch=if(match(_raw,"String1"),1,0)*if(match(_raw,"String2"),1,0)

If either string is not matched, a zero value will result, if both match, a 1 value will result.

ataunk
Explorer

Thanks so much. It works. Love Splunk comunity.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah, me too. Okay, if that solved your problem, then please "accept" the answer, so it will show as solved.

0 Karma

ataunk
Explorer

I just tried to re-run the query and doesn;t look like it is giving the data.. I fi run this query it does give me data

("String1" AND "String2") | timechart count span=1h |sort -_time

Can you please review your query above once

0 Karma

ataunk
Explorer

Also, the entire query I am running is :

| eval concatsearch=if(match(_raw,"String1"),1,0)*if(match(_raw,"String2"),1,0)
| timechart sum(concatsearch) span=1h

And I get 0 results, but those string are actually there. Am I doing something worng while using the sum and timechat ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...