All Apps and Add-ons

can't get IMAP app to work with credentials

smachtmes

I'm using Splunk 4.1.6 on linux and trying to use the IMAP app and seem to get an error regarding credentials upon login attempt. I've verified that my Thunderbird email client can access the imap account ok. I ran the debug command and that's where I see the error at bottom (I've changed the actual server IP for this post).

python ./getimap.py

DEBUG:root:END_IMAP_BREAKER=EndIMAPMessage DEBUG:root:bodySourceType=imapbody DEBUG:root:body_separator=_________ Message Body _________ DEBUG:root:debug=True DEBUG:root:deleteWhenDone=False DEBUG:root:folders= DEBUG:root:fullHeaders=False DEBUG:root:headerSourceType=imap DEBUG:root:imapSearch=(UNDELETED SMALLER 204800) DEBUG:root:includeBody=False DEBUG:root:mimeTypes=text/plain DEBUG:root:noCache=False DEBUG:root:password=mypass DEBUG:root:port=143 DEBUG:root:server=10.x.y.12 DEBUG:root:splunkHostPath=https://localhost:8089 DEBUG:root:splunkpassword=changeme DEBUG:root:splunkuser=admin DEBUG:root:splunkxpassword= DEBUG:root:timeout=10 DEBUG:root:useBodySourceType=False DEBUG:root:useSSL=False DEBUG:root:user=myemailalias@brocade.com DEBUG:root:version=1.2 DEBUG:root:xpassword= DEBUG:root:VERSION = 1.2 DEBUG:root:LOGIN failed. Traceback (most recent call last): File "./getimap.py", line 334, in getMail M.login(self.user, self.password) File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.6/imaplib.py", line 500, in login raise self.error(dat[-1]) error: LOGIN failed. None Traceback (most recent call last): File "./getimap.py", line 698, in parseArgs() File "./getimap.py", line 691, in parseArgs imapProc.getMail() File "./getimap.py", line 339, in getMail raise LoginError('Could not log into server: %s with password provided' % self.server) main.LoginError: Could not log into server: 10.x.y.12 with password provided

Any tips of something I would be doing wrong? Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Erik_Swan
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

SSL is turned off. Any chance it could be SSL? Turn it on perhaps? Also, when using SSL my port is 993, you could check that as well.

If that is not the problem i'll post a snippet of python you can run through interactively to use to debug.

Let me know.

0 Karma

smachtmes

I've been going by my thunderbird settings which have ssl off and port 143 as the ldap port.

0 Karma

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The only suggestion I can offer, having played a little bit with the app, is that potentially it's not the Username and Password, but the IP, firewall, or etc., that's causing the problem. It says that it can't log in with that username and password -- not necessarily that the username and password is the problem. I think it would normally respond with a better error message if it is a connection difficulty, but who knows.

Have you tried running a packet capture to see exactly what's being sent over the wire, and compare that to what happens from Thunderbird?

Hope you get it sorted out.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...