Knowledge Management

add devices into multiple groups

sherrysafdar
Explorer

We have 10 different sites and I would like to create a group for each site.

For example, I want to add SITE-A devices in SITE-A group and SITE-B devices in SITE-B group to be visible.

Please help, thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One way to do this is to create and automatic lookup. The structure of the CSV would be like so:

host,  group
host1, group1
host2, group1
host3, group1
host4, group2
host5, group3

With an automatic lookup, everytime you search on a sourcetype, the "group" field will be automatically added to every event.

Hope this helps

0 Karma

sherrysafdar
Explorer

Quick question is that possible using tags?

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use "eventtypes" if you like. create an eventtype called "firewalls_texas" , "firewalls_california" etc

0 Karma

sherrysafdar
Explorer

I need to identify 192.168.100.1 as Texas_Firewall and 192.168.200.1 as California_Firewall.

This is what I am trying to accomplish.

And later if in future there are more firewalls in Texas I can simply add them to the Texas_Firewall group or whatever it is.

I am also quite not sure how can I be able to write the query at this point but need to accomplish first task first.

Thanks,

0 Karma

sherrysafdar
Explorer

Can you give an example for automatic lookup?

0 Karma

BainM
Communicator

Hi sherrysafdar -
Could you please be a little more specific? Where do the groups apply? Deployment Server groups? I could guess, but that won't help you.

0 Karma

sherrysafdar
Explorer

BainM, we have multiple Fortinet firewalls and we would like to separate each firewall in the search hope that clarify your question?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...