Reporting

Working with dynamically named fields (extract)

jbmchuck
Engager

I have a script which runs every minute to extract information from squid logs. I'm not interested in actually indexing the data from squid (far too much data) so instead I'm indexing a single line every minute showing the response code statistics from the last minute, for example:

HTTP0:43 HTTP200:19 HTTP301:4 HTTP302:1 HTTP304:46 HTTP403:5 HTTP404:5

Note that the inclusion of codes can vary line by line.

Ultimately I'd like to generate total hits and percentage of hits for each status. I've gotten this far:

index=myindex sourcetype=squid | extract pairdelim=" ", kvdelim=":", auto=f | stats sum(HTTP*) | addtotals fieldname=TotalHits | rename sum(*) as *

which returns something like (contrived output - generally there will be several more fields, HTTP404, 5XX, etc)

HTTP0   HTTP200 HTTP206 HTTP301 TotalHits
4322    1234    777     555     6888

What I'd like to do is generate a percentage field for each of the HTTP* columns. I know that eval doesn't handle wildcards, so that doesn't appear to be an option. Is there a way to simply tell splunk to multiply/divide all columns matching a prefix by a value from another field??

Tags (1)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Using the http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/76026/scale-command you can do this:

... stats ... addtotals ... | scale field=Total pattern="^sum" | scale scale=100 pattern="^sum" inverse=t | rename ...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Using the http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/76026/scale-command you can do this:

... stats ... addtotals ... | scale field=Total pattern="^sum" | scale scale=100 pattern="^sum" inverse=t | rename ...
0 Karma

jonuwz
Influencer

Oh my god. This is gold :

rename sum(*) as *

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...