Splunk Search

Winsorized Average Calculation

zacksoft
Contributor
 host = Mayhem
 sourcetype="phutans:servo" host=R00878
 | eval headers=split(_raw," ")
 | eval plant_length=mvindex(headers,10) | sort 0 plant_length

(I am trying to calculate mean plant_lenght here but in a different way)

Let me put it as example :
say we get 10 values of plant_length. 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 20
Ideally to get mean, we would do (1+2+2+3+4+4+4++5+20)/10
But I don't want it this way. What I am looking is to identify 10% of data in each tail.
And then to replace them with the next available data.
e.g. 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 20
The 10 % on each side is, 1 and 20.
So the updated data set to become 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5. (I just replaced the each extreme 10 % with the nearest value).
And the new average should be calculated like (2+2+2+3+4+4+4++5+5)/10
Could you please guide how to achieve this. Thank you.

I could use some help in implementing the above scenario.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi @zacksoft
Yes this works..to avoid index confusion I have now hard coded the values using makeresults.
I have tested for date_minute =1-10 and 1-20. Remember we have to change this in 3 places while testing, main query, first append and second append.
Try this :

| makeresults
| eval date_minute="1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10" | eval date_minute=split(date_minute," ")
| mvexpand date_minute
|  table date_minute,_time
   | where isnotnull(date_minute) | rename date_minute as x 
   |  eventstats count(x) as maxcount
   | eval perc=0.1*maxcount  | streamstats count as row  | eval z=maxcount-row
  | eval diff=row-perc
  | eval diff1=z-perc  | where diff <=perc 
   | where diff >0 
  | append 
      [ | makeresults
| eval date_minute="1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10" | eval date_minute=split(date_minute," ")
| mvexpand date_minute
   | eval perc=0.1*maxcount  | streamstats count as row | where row>perc | eval z=maxcount-row | where z>=perc]
  | append 
      [ | makeresults
| mvexpand date_minute
  | eval diff=row-perc
  | eval diff1=z-perc
   | where diff1<perc
  | where diff1>=0]

Here is the screen shot of the output..

alt text

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi @zacksoft
Yes this works..to avoid index confusion I have now hard coded the values using makeresults.
I have tested for date_minute =1-10 and 1-20. Remember we have to change this in 3 places while testing, main query, first append and second append.
Try this :

| makeresults
| mvexpand date_minute
  | eval diff=row-perc
   | where diff >0 
  | append 
      [ | makeresults
| mvexpand date_minute
   | eval perc=0.1*maxcount  | streamstats count as row | where row>perc | eval z=maxcount-row | where z>=perc]
  | append 
      [ | makeresults
| mvexpand date_minute
  | eval diff=row-perc
  | eval diff1=z-perc
   | where diff1<perc
  | where diff1>=0]

Here is the screen shot of the output..

alt text

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

you can test for values 1-20, replace 1-10 with 1-20 (remember the space between each number 🙂 ) and to make the change in 3 places.
The code works, but it is most probably an issue with your index data the parts before where I start doing the real stuff...but I am sure this will give you a good idea of what to do

0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

Thanks @Sukisen1981 for your time. The solution helps.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi @zacksoft
I have modified the query above. Here is what I understood from your requirements. Firstly, I will try to explain what I have done with the bottom(tail) values for x.
this screen shot is an as is run on the _audit index without any trims being done
alt text

This has total 36 events (ref. - column maxcount), trimming 10% of this at the tail means trimming 3.6 , ~ 4 tail rows.
So, my understanding is here we need to trim the rows with values for x=41,41,30.30 AND replace them with the immediate 4 rows above. So the last 4 rows should become x=0,0,45,45 AND this will be the same as the 4 rows above that. In essence we will have 8 rows , with sets of values repeating for 4 rows. That means that the last 8 rows become, x=0,0,45,45,0,0,45,45.
Is this correct?
If it is then refer to this screen shot.
alt text
see how the last 8 rows now repeat in sets of 4, is this correct? The same logic has been applied to the first 4(or 😎 rows.
Now, on the query -
The query actually consists of 3 queries, the first main one followed by the 2 appends.
a) The first append or the second query is just trimming off the top and bottom 10%(4 rows) in this example.
b) the main search implements the logic for removing the head(top) 4 rows and replacing them by the first 4 rows in the second(first append) query.
c) I suggest you test it like this - use this query first.

index="_audit" | table date_minute,_time
 | eval diff=row-perc
 | eval diff1=z-perc  

Here, i merely removed the where conditions from the main search (the top/head) query part. You can then manually see what applying the 2 where conditions ( | where diff <=perc | where diff >0 ) would do to the overall result.
d) exact same goes for the bottom/tail (second append) query.
Do not get confused by the query. Look at it as 3 parts, the middle part does the trim of the top/bottom 10% and the first and third queries append the values from the middle query, based on the number of rows as per the 10% rule.

zacksoft
Contributor

@Sukisen1981 - Thanks for the response.
After sorting the values , the 10% isn't ONLY to be removed from the tail end. 10% of the head end also to be removed.
like , 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Lets say I have above 10 values)for simplicity I am considering 1 through 10). So when we say trimming the 10 % on each end it means, the value 1 from left and 10 from right will be removed. .

Lets move to the part where we understand what values to be replaced in place of "1" and "10".
After trimming 10% on both end , the nearest value of the trimmed number is to be replaced with.
Meaning the new set will be , 2 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 9

The average now will be calculated as (2+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+9)/10

I hope I didn't confuse you.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi @zacksoft
I am back again 🙂
Try this -

| eval diff=row-perc
  | where diff >0 
 | append 
     [search index="_audit" | table date_minute,_time
 | append 
     [search 
 | eval diff=row-perc
 | eval diff1=z-perc
  | where diff1<perc
 | where diff1>=0]

Once again, run this on the _aidt index before implementing on your actual data.
NOTE - I have used the date_minute field to simulate number values.
It would be good if you can run this on a fixed time range , something like yesterday 2-3 PM or something like that, so that the data becomes easier to verify. Remember the first field x is the only one we are interested in, the rest of the fields are added for verification purposes only.

Sukisen1981
Champion

hi @zacksoft - Were you able to test this out?

0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

Does the value of 'x' contain the nearest value after dropping 10 % of extreme values on both end ? Which line in the query is confirming that ?
Also , I added | sort 0 x after | rename command as the values are only to be trimmed after they are sorted. Could you please clarify

0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

Not yet . I will test it today and will let you know by tomorrow.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...