Splunk Search

Why is the number of host values for the same time period different in tstats vs search on wineventlogs?

landen99
Motivator

I search the same time period in wineventlogs for host values with tstats (37,558) and with regular search (42,008):

| tstats count where index=wineventlog sourcetype=wineventlog
(TERM(LogName=Microsoft-Windows-PowerShell/Operational) OR TERM(SourceName=Microsoft-Windows-PowerShell))
(TERM(EventCode=4103) OR TERM(EventCode=4104) OR TERM(EventCode=4105) OR TERM(EventCode=4106)) by host

versus:

index=wineventlog sourcetype=wineventlog
(TERM(LogName=Microsoft-Windows-PowerShell/Operational) OR TERM(SourceName=Microsoft-Windows-PowerShell))
(TERM(EventCode=4103) OR TERM(EventCode=4104) OR TERM(EventCode=4105) OR TERM(EventCode=4106))
| stats count by host

The number of ComputerName values for the same time period is 41,656, which may be less simply due to the addition of new logs to the indexers for that time period before my searches above were run. Ironically, it took less time than my search on the indexed field "host" and I don't understand that either: 375s vs 430s, respectively.

Tags (1)

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

That is totally wrong. You should open a support case for sure.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...