Dashboards & Visualizations

Why is the index I created owned by file system root?

KorbinDallas2
Engager

I created a test index and assigned it to the search app using the Splunk Web GUI. On the filesystem a local folder was created (/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/local). However that local folder is not owned by the splunk local user I created for all Splunk related functions. It is owned by root. How do I change my Splunk settings so that items created using the GUI are owned by splunk and not by root?

myriadic
Path Finder

When you first install splunk, everything in /opt/splunk/ is owned by "splunk".

However, if you're running splunk as root, everything created, from there on out, will be owned by "root".

To change this, stop splunk, run "/opt/splunk/bin/splunk enable boot-start -user splunk", then "chown -R splunk:splunk /opt/splunk" and start splunk back up.

(keep in mind that "splunk" probably won't be able to run on port 80/443 without changing OS permissions)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...