Security

Why is the CLI secret parameter called pass4SymmKey in the configuration files?

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

As I prepare for the 24 lab exam, I see these different naming for the CLI secret parameter versus the pass4SymmKey in the configuration files. Why is it?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Azeemering
Builder

I’ll give it a go to explain; The splunk.secret is the encryption key used by Splunk for most passwords that you enter into most configuration files. When Splunk detects a plaintext password, it will encrypt the password using the splunk.secret key. You can tell that a password has been encrypted when the password string begins with “$1$”—this value is used by Splunk to determine if the password has been encrypted.

When you specify pass4SymmKey in clear-text for an app directory on a Splunk instance (for example: etc/apps/myapp/default/server.conf), the software writes an obfuscated version of the key to the local file (in this example, system/local/server.conf) when you restart the instance. This is done with splunk.secret....

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Azeemering
Builder

I’ll give it a go to explain; The splunk.secret is the encryption key used by Splunk for most passwords that you enter into most configuration files. When Splunk detects a plaintext password, it will encrypt the password using the splunk.secret key. You can tell that a password has been encrypted when the password string begins with “$1$”—this value is used by Splunk to determine if the password has been encrypted.

When you specify pass4SymmKey in clear-text for an app directory on a Splunk instance (for example: etc/apps/myapp/default/server.conf), the software writes an obfuscated version of the key to the local file (in this example, system/local/server.conf) when you restart the instance. This is done with splunk.secret....

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

It makes sense @Azeemering - much appreciated.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Any ideas about this one, by any chance?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...