Splunk Search

Why is my field not showing up with the following search query?

ecoquelin
Explorer

Dear all,

I have a suspicious case using Splunk 7.2. I have a data source type with about 15k rows. Each row is about 164 fields.

Some of the fields have few values. Most of the time they are empty (null).

When I run my search, one of my fields is not showing. The command is very basic

index=<myindex> sourcetype=<mysourcetype>

My field is not showing up. Even if I use the "Extract New Fields" option (and after selection "All Fields" in the popup).

When I run the same command with the following...

index=<myindex> sourcetype=<mysourcetype> <myfield>=*

...then it shows the field in the result. Which means that the field exists in the previous result.

But why doesn't that field show up in the first result ?

Not that I have increased the limit in order to show all fields

My limits.conf

[search]
min_freq=0

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ecoquelin

Can you please compare the result of below both search?

index=<myindex> sourcetype=<mysourcetype> | fieldsummary | search field="< myfield>" | table field count distinct_count values

index=<myindex> sourcetype=<mysourcetype> < myfield>=* | fieldsummary  | search field="< myfield>"  | table field count distinct_count values

Here I want to see the behaviour of your both searches.

Updated Answer:

When field discovery is enabled, Splunk software identifies and extracts the first 50 fields that it finds in the event data that match obvious key=value pairs. This 50 field limit is a default that you can modify by editing the [kv] stanza in limits.conf.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.0/Knowledge/WhenSplunkEnterpriseaddsfields#Field_ex...

In our case, we have updated [kv] in limits.conf with the 200.

Thanks

View solution in original post

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ecoquelin

Can you please compare the result of below both search?

index=<myindex> sourcetype=<mysourcetype> | fieldsummary | search field="< myfield>" | table field count distinct_count values

index=<myindex> sourcetype=<mysourcetype> < myfield>=* | fieldsummary  | search field="< myfield>"  | table field count distinct_count values

Here I want to see the behaviour of your both searches.

Updated Answer:

When field discovery is enabled, Splunk software identifies and extracts the first 50 fields that it finds in the event data that match obvious key=value pairs. This 50 field limit is a default that you can modify by editing the [kv] stanza in limits.conf.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.0/Knowledge/WhenSplunkEnterpriseaddsfields#Field_ex...

In our case, we have updated [kv] in limits.conf with the 200.

Thanks

ecoquelin
Explorer

In the first case, i have no (0) result, in the second case, I have fieldsummary result with the expected field

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ecoquelin

Well, the event has 164 fields. So can you please try to do below configuration in limit.conf?

[kv]
limit = 200
0 Karma

ecoquelin
Explorer

That works perfectly.

Thank you very much !!

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ecoquelin

Glad to help you. I have updated my answer. Please refer the given link for more information and upvote my comments.

!!! Happy Splunking !!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...