Splunk Enterprise

Why is 'collect' not adding to a summary index on a search head cluster?

splunkto
Explorer

I have a query where at the end I specify "| collect index=foo sourcetype=bar" and the results go into that index on a standalone search head. When I do the same on the cluster, it does not go to the index. Additionally the search head complains that it received an event for an unconfigured/disabled/deleted index=foo like it is attempting to write the data locally.

What do I need to do to the search head cluster so it targets the indexers when writing summary indexes instead of locally?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

On a search head cluster, summary data must be forwarder to the indexer tier. This is a best practice for all search heads, but required for clustered search heads.

Here is a link to the documentation - Best practice: Forward search head data to the indexer layer

Create the summary index on each indexer, and follow the documentation directions to make each search head forward to the indexer tier.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

On a search head cluster, summary data must be forwarder to the indexer tier. This is a best practice for all search heads, but required for clustered search heads.

Here is a link to the documentation - Best practice: Forward search head data to the indexer layer

Create the summary index on each indexer, and follow the documentation directions to make each search head forward to the indexer tier.

splunkto
Explorer

I just found this right before you posted.

The following is what I was missing on the cluster:
[indexAndForward]
index = false

After that it seems to add to the summary index properly now.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...